Pages

Sunday 17 January 2016

**REVIEW** FEAR OF FALLING by S L JENNINGS





***Inspired by true events***


I can't remember the last time I felt completely safe. Security seemed more like a luxury to me, reserved for those who were fortunate enough to have picture perfect childhoods. For those who didn't bear the ugly scars that keep me bound in constant, debilitating fear. I've run from that fear my entire life. But when I met him, for once, I couldn't run anymore.


He scared the hell out of me in a way that excited every fiber of my being. It wasn't the tattoos or the piercings. It wasn't the warmth that seemed to radiate from his frame and blanket me whenever he was near. It was just...him. The scary beautiful man that threatened to alter 23 years of routine and rituals, and make me face my crippling fear.


My name is Kami and I am constantly afraid. And the thing that scares me the most is the very thing I want.


This is the story of one woman's very real struggle through a world against her, the people who hurt her, her real life demons and the people who showed her that every gray sky, no matter how dark, has a sun waiting to break through.
Book 1 of the FEARLESS NOVELS.








From reading the blurb for "Fear of Falling" I was instantly intrigued by the character of Kami and how and why she had become the woman she now was. However, upon reading I found that it was Blaine (the leading male) that captivated my interest far more than Kami, he seemed a much more believable charming character and I must say I'd quite like a Blaine in my life! If I'm entirely honest it was him that made me read it to the end. As a little side note though, there's only so much lip biting a man can do before it starts to grow a tad boring. On the other hand Kami as a heroine seemed to have far too many holes in her character for me to fully understand her mentality. Don't get me wrong I could appreciated her struggle and the inner turmoil she felt was described sufficiently well for me to grasp just how strongly her fears controlled her. She did however seem to "overcome" these fears far too quickly for me to fully appreciate the severity of them. The story is very well written and I must say the characterisation was enough to engage me into the plot. I have to admit I did find it a little repetitive at times, the whole "turn him down, then go running back" wore tiresome after a while. I'd also add that if subjects such as; rape and child abuse aren't something you are fond of reading with a book this one isn't for you, as it does touch upon a few topics that are heartbreaking and graphic. All in all a story of love, loss and learning how to overcome fears that are so deep rooted they are as natural as the air you breathe. It is a touching tale if not a little predictable. I'd give it a 3/5 as I will probably forget the characters and storylines within a few days. All in all an interesting read

No comments:

Post a Comment